Acreage Holdings is hiring an accomplished Communications Director to lead our internal and external communications strategy and activities. Acreage Holdings is one of the largest and most talked-about companies in the U.S. Cannabis market and we’re growing -- quickly. With over 30 operations in 11 states, Acreage Holdings is poised to grow quickly based on the wave of legalization and deregulation as well as investment and consumer-driven growth in the Cannabis sector.
This is a critical role (reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer) that will help shape and lead the public communications strategy of our company with the opportunity to put your fingerprints on the company’s future by setting strategy and driving explosive growth in the most exciting new industry in the world, offering you a front row seat to its birth and evolution.
The candidate will need to be equal parts strategist and hands-on executor with experience in the creation, management and execution of sophisticated marketing and communications programs and campaigns including PR, investor relations, internal/employee comms, digital/social marketing, event marketing and thought leadership/content creation, working at both the corporate level as well as with our subsidiary companies and brands.
- Working with CMO and the marketing/executive team to craft our corporate communications strategy and plan, including thought leadership, public relations, investor relations and public policy.
- Developing internal, external and investor-facing communication strategy and messaging.
- Work with and direct our PR agency to deliver on the strategy and attain press/media in preferred outlets.
- Developing the consumer PR strategy and directing execution for portfolio of consumer brands.
- Support IPO process, investor relations and communications.
- Writing press releases and managing incoming media requests, building ongoing beneficial relationships with national/international industry and consumer media.
- Ability to court media contacts and drive interest in the Acreage Holdings story.
- Leading, developing, tracking and reporting on metrics for all communications activities.
- Working with marketing on managing social media strategy of Acreage activities.
- Leading crisis communication activities, working in conjunction with internal and external partners.
- Leading, producing and directing investor events like prospective and current investor meetings, roadshow events, etc.
- Creating and managing execution of thought leadership strategy including Op-Ed and conference/industry comms and conference/event strategy.
- Providing talking points and prepping management team for media and industry appearances, including speech writing.
- Developing and managing a team of professionals, including social media specialists, graphic designers, and writers, to develop compelling content for a range of platforms – blog, website, social media, email, etc.
- Preparing the company for life as a public company by hiring and managing Investor Relations team/agency including quarterly filings, investor communications and announcements, etc.
- Providing creative guidance and key message development for various internal business groups, working with HR on internal communications, employer communications and branding and culture creation.
- Helping ensure brand standards and messaging are enforced, and optimized across global business.
- Leading efforts utilizing social media to create outside-the-box strategic social initiatives aligned to business objectives.
- Establishing clear social media goals across all platforms and consistently analyzing and tracking to keep senior management aware of progress against objectives.
- Being constantly “switched on” in monitoring social media feeds, providing social listening reporting.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external key stakeholders (vendors, agencies, industry), ensuring proper messaging of brand and service offerings.
- Lead newsletter strategy in terms of creation/curation of content and key messaging.
- Management of our presence and connection to events and conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, advertising/marketing or equivalent experience, graduate degree in related field is a plus.
- 10+ years experience in B2B and B2C consumer marketing working on the client or agency side.
- Experience working in both corporate and B2C PR environments.
- Experience working for and managing investor relations function (public company experience preferred).
- Experience in managing PR/creative/marketing agencies and deliverables along with budgets, with an emphasis on efficiency and agility.
- Experience with using PR to create employer branding-driven strategies.
- Experience creating and developing thought leadership strategy, messaging.
- Proven experience creating metrics-driven objectives and tracking/reporting on success.
- Experience with software tools and platforms for social listening.
- Experience in event production and management.
- Experience in social media strategy, management and tracking social and online content including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Understanding of how to drive PR and earned media as well as content creation.
- Experience in government affairs and policy is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to multitask and be accountable in an exceptionally fast-moving environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the Cannabis industry, its products, players and development is a plus.
- Ability to travel for work (up to 30%).